Place:


Shepshed  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepshed like this:

SHEEPSHED, a village and a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, within the N E side of Charnwood forest, 4½ miles W of Loughborough r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Loughborough, and an old cross. The parish comprises 5, 280 acres. ...


Real property, £10, 556. Pop. in 1851, 3, 759; in 1861, 3, 626. Houses, 788. The manor belonged formerly to the Gordons, and belongs now to A. L. M. De Lisle, Esq. The surface is partly hilly, rising toward the mountainous ground of High Peak; and includes Beacon hill and Bardon hill, which commandvery extensive views. Framework-knitting, glove-making, needle-making, and granite-working are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £391.* Patron, A. L. M. De Lisle, Esq. The church is old, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Particular Baptists, General Baptists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, a national school, and some charities.

Shepshed through time

Shepshed is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepshed itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepshed, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/357

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepshed ".