Place:


Battlesden  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Battlesden like this:

BATTLESDEN, a parish in Woburn district, Beds, on Watling-street, 3 miles SSE of Woburn, and 4½ NE of Leighton-Buzzard r. station. Post Town, Woburn. Acres, 1,123. Real property, £1,981. Pop., 143. Houses, 31. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the Firmbands; passed, in the time of Elizabeth, to the Duncombes; was purchased, in 1706, by the Bathursts, to whom it gives the title of Baron; and is now the property of the Turners. ...


The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Potsgrove, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £509.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late Sir G. P. Turner, Bart. The church is good.

Battlesden through time

Battlesden is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Battlesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Battlesden in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3563

Date accessed: 20th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Battlesden".