Place:


Bletsoe  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bletsoe like this:

BLETSOE, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Midland railway, 1½ mile SSE of Sharnbrook r. station, and 6 NNW of Bedford. It has a post office under Bedford. Acres, 2,239. Real property, £4,021. Pop., 412. Houses, 80. The property is all in one estate; and belonged once to the Pateshulls and the Beauchamps. ...


An old castle, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the ancestors of Lord St. John of Bletsoe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £316.* Patron, Lord St. John. The church contains tombs of the St. John family and of Frances Countess of Bolingbroke. Charities, £13.

Bletsoe through time

Bletsoe is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bletsoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bletsoe, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3546

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bletsoe ".