Place:


Over Wallop  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Wallop like this:

WALLOP (Over), a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants; 2 miles S by E of Grately r. station, and 6 WNW of Stockbridge r. station. Post town, Stockbridge, under Winchester. Acres, 4,631. Real property, £3,994. Pop., 508. Houses, 112. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth; has descended to him from a period prior to the Norman conquest; and gives him the title of Baron. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £820.* Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1866. Charities, £9.

Over Wallop through time

Over Wallop is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Over Wallop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Wallop, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3521

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Over Wallop ".