Place:


Parkham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parkham like this:

PARKHAM, a parish and a sub-district in Bideford district, Devon. The parish lies on the river Yeo, 6 miles S W of Bideford r. station; contains the hamlet of Horns-Cross, which has a post-office under Bideford; and contains also the hamlets of Ash, Broad-Parkham, Gold-worthy, Newhaven, Peppercombe, and part of Burkish-Mills. ...


Acres, 5, 808. Real property, £4, 328. Pop.in 1851, 951; in 1861, 886. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mark Rolle. Bableigh was a seat of the Risdons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £635.* Patron, W. H. Stone, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Bible Christians, and Plymouth-Brethren, a parochial school, and charities £5.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 16, 797. Pop., 2, 794. Houses, 564.

Parkham through time

Parkham is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Parkham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parkham, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3509

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Parkham ".