Place:


Surlingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Surlingham like this:

SURLINGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Henstead district, Norfolk; on the river Yare, 1¾ mile SSW of Brundall r. station, and 5 ESE of Norwich. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 1,767. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 465. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to E. Tuck, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £120.* Patron, the Bishop of N. The church is old but good; and there was formerly another church, now a ruin. Charities £63.

Surlingham through time

Surlingham is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Surlingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Surlingham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3499

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Surlingham ".