Place:


Hale  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hale like this:

HALE, a parish in Fordingbridge district, Hants; on the river Avon, adjacent to Wilts and to Braemore r. station, and 3hf miles NNE of Fordingbridge. Posttown, Downton, under Salisbury. Acres, 1, 672. Real property, £1, 221. Pop., 153. Houses, 32. The manor belongs to J. Goff, Esq. Part of the surface is richly wooded; and part consists of elevated downs. The living is a donative in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £270. Patron, J. Goff, Esq. The church is small, and stands in the park of Hale House.

Hale through time

Hale is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hale, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3475

Date accessed: 17th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hale ".