Place:


Peters Marland  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peters Marland like this:

MARLAND-PETERS, a parish, with a village, in Torrington district, Devon; 4½ miles S by W of Great Torrington, and 10 S by E of Bideford r. station. Posttown, Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 2,237. Real property, £1,739. Pop. in 1851,292; in 1861,332. Houses, 63. The increase of pop. ...


arose from the temporary presence of artizans for erecting a mansion. The manor belongs to J. Oldham, Esq. Winscott House is the seat of the Stevens family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, Archdeacon Moore. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. Charities, £5.

Peters Marland through time

Peters Marland is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peters Marland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peters Marland, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3438

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peters Marland ".