Place:


Oxted  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxted like this:

OXTED, a village and a parish in Godstone district, Surrey. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Godstone, and 2¾ N E by N of Godstone r. station; and has a post-office under Red Hill, and a fair on 1 May. The parish comprises 3, 627 acres. Real property, £5, 453. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 213. ...


The manor belongs to L. H. Master and E. Kelsey, Esqs. Barrow-Green House is the seat of G. Groat, Esq.; Shrubhurst, of Col.S. Burdett; Broadhams, of E. Kelsey, Esq.; Woodhurst, of Major R. N. Leake; Greenhurst, of W. Levett, Esq.; South House, of H. Fortescue, Esq.; Perrysfield, ofM ' Niven, Esq.; and East Hill, of the Rev. T. Wilkinson. Ponds and a large tumulus are at Barrow-Green. About 30 acres are under hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £624.* Patron,L. H. Master, Esq. The church is decorated English; was recently restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains two ancient brasses. There are a Baptist chapel, an infant school, and charities £33.

Oxted through time

Oxted is now part of Tandridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tandridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxted, in Tandridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3380

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxted ".