Place:


Berrynarbor  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berrynarbor like this:

BERRYNARBOR, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands on an eminence, on the coast, 2½ miles E of Ilfracombe, and 9 N of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post office under Ilfracombe; and contains a richly sculptured mansion of the time of Edward IV. The parish comprises 4,958 acres. ...


Real property, £.5,235. Pop., 775. Houses, 184. The property is divided among a few. Bowden farmhouse was the birthplace of Bishop Jewel. A small circular camp occurs about ½ a mile from the shore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £715.* Patrons, the Bishop of Exeter and others. The church has a Norman arch, an early English chancel, a perpendicular nave, and a decorated, high, massive tower; and is in tolerable condition. There is an Independent chapel.

Berrynarbor through time

Berrynarbor is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berrynarbor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berrynarbor in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3373

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berrynarbor ".