Place:


Muggleswick  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Muggleswick like this:

MUGGLESWICK, a parish in the district and county of Durham; on the river Derwent, at the boundary with Northumberland, 3 miles W N W of Cold-Rowley r. station, and 8½ N by W of Wolsingham. Post-town, Consett, under Gateshead. Acres, 7,098. Real property, £1, 647. Pop. in 1851, 688; in 1861, 788. ...


Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. An ancient hunting-seat of the priors of Durham stood here, in thevalley of the Derwent; and a picturesque fragment of it still exists. A park, 3 miles long, and 2 miles wide, wasenclosed, in the 13th century, by Prior Hugh An extensive upland tract, in the S and the S W, bears the name of Muggleswick Common. Lead ore, containing somesilver, is plentiful. All the lead mines within 12 miles of Muggleswick church were granted for 21 years, by Charles I., to the Duke of Buckingham. The south-eastern border of the parish is traversed by the Stanhope railway, and shares in the mining industry of the Consett region. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was rebuilt in 1728, and issubstantial. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a parochial school.

Muggleswick through time

Muggleswick is now part of Derwentside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derwentside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Muggleswick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Muggleswick, in Derwentside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3350

Date accessed: 11th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Muggleswick ".