Place:


Winkleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winkleigh like this:

WINKLEIGH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands 5¼ miles W of Lapford r. station, and 5½ SW of Chulmleigh; contains several genteel residences; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office‡ designated Winkleigh, North Devon, and an inn. ...


The parish comprises 9,118 acres. Real property, £6,246. Pop. in 1851, 1,554; in 1861, 1,425. Houses, 309. The property is subdivided, and there are several manors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £312.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church is old, but good-There are four dissenting chapels, a national school, an alms-house for 5 poor women, and other charities £22.—The sub-district contains 3 parishes. Acres, 16,516. Pop., 2,472. Houses, 518.

Winkleigh through time

Winkleigh is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winkleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winkleigh, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3349

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winkleigh ".