Place:


Landcross  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Landcross like this:

LANDCROSS, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 2 miles SSE of Bideford r. station. Post-town, Bideford. Acres, 331. Real property, £577. Pop., 109. Houses, 21. The manor was formerly known as Lancras, or Langrasse; belonged to the Giffards; and passed to Lord Rolle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £81.* Patrons, the Heirs of Lord Rolle. The church is very small and good. General Monk, Duke of Albemarle, was baptized here, and perhaps was a native.

Landcross through time

Landcross is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Landcross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Landcross, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3348

Date accessed: 29th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Landcross ".