Place:


New Buckenham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Buckenham like this:

BUCKENHAM (New), a village and a parish in Guiltcross district, Norfolk. The village stands 4 miles SE of Attleborough r. station, and 7½ S by W of Wymondham; and has a post office‡ under Attleborough. It consists chiefly of small narrow streets; and is irregularly built. A weekly market was formerly held on Saturday; and fairs are still held on the last Thursday of May and Sept., and 22 Nov. ...


The parish comprises 324 acres. Real property, £1,630. Pop., 656. Houses, 152. The property is subdivided. A castle was built here, in the time of Henry II., by William de Albini. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £115.* Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is partly of 1479, partly earlier; has a square tower and a very beautiful screen; and contains a number of curious and interesting monuments. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, an almshouse for six women, and other charities £61.

New Buckenham through time

New Buckenham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Buckenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Buckenham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3332

Date accessed: 20th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " New Buckenham ".