Place:


Calveley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calveley like this:

CALVELEY, a township in Bunbury parish, Cheshire; on the Chester canal, adjacent to the Chester and Crewe railway, 8 miles W by N of Crewe. It has a station on the railway; and it forms a curacy with Bunbury. Acres, 1,517. Real property, £2,502. Pop., 285. Houses, 48. The manor belonged to Sir Hugh Calveley, the "glory of Cheshire;" and belongs now to the Davenports.

Calveley through time

Calveley is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calveley, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3329

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Calveley".