Place:


Dymchurch  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dymchurch like this:

DYMCHURCH, a parish in Romney-Marsh district, Kent; on the coast, 4 miles NE of New Romney, and 5¼ SSW of Westenhanger and Hythe r. station. It has a post office‡ under Folkestone. Acres, 1, 534; of which 420 are water. Real property, £3, 163. Pop., 718. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. ...


The surface is all on the level of Romney-Marsh; and, together with the rest of that low tract, is protected from sea-inundation only by means of Dymchurch wall. This is an embankment about 3 miles long, about 20 feet high, and from 15 to 30 feet wide, with three sluice-gates for drainage; and is kept in repair by a local rate, under management of a local body. During some recent alterations on the embankment, relics of the Mediæval and the Saxon times were obtained; and below these, great quantities of Roman pottery; and under these, bones of the whale and the mammoth. The living is a rectory united in 1868 with Eastbridge, Blackmanstone, and Orgarswick, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £363.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is old. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and charities £111.

Dymchurch through time

Dymchurch is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dymchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dymchurch, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3324

Date accessed: 17th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dymchurch".