Place:


Middleton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:

MIDDLETON, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lune, and on the Ingleton branch of the Northwestern railway, 2½ miles W of the boundary with Yorkshire, and 5 N by E of Kirkby-Lonsdale. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, designated Middleton-in-Lonsdale, Westmoreland. ...


Acres, 7,503. Real property, £3,567. Pop. in 1851,275; in 1861,366. Houses, 55. Middleton Hall belonged to the Askews, and became ruinous. Grimes Hill is a recent mansion and a chief residence. Much of the land is moor and mountain. A battle is said to have been fought between the English and the Scotch near the old bridge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. * Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The church was built in 1634. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £26.

Middleton through time

Middleton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3318

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton ".