Ryhall  Rutland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ryhall like this:

RYHALL, a village and a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland. The village stands on the river Gwash, ½ a mile N W of the Stamford and Lynn railway, and 2¾ N N E of Stamford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stamford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Belmisthorpe, and comprises 2,070 acres. ...

Real property, £4, 118. Pop. in 1851, 1,075; in 1861, 847. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Harding the Saxon; passed to Earl Siward, the Spencers, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a vicarage, united with Essendine, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £280. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church is of the time of Henry IV.; was restored in 1857; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £15.

Ryhall through time

Ryhall is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ryhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ryhall in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ryhall".