Place:


Egginton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egginton like this:

EGGINTON, a village and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent, and county of Derby. The village stands on the verge of the county, near Icknield-street and the river Dove, adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal and to the Birmingham and Derby railway, 4 miles NNE of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Burton -upon - Trent. ...


It was known at Domesday as Eghintune. The parish comprises 2, 289 acres. Real property, £5, 107; of which £20 are in fisheries. Pop., 355. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. Egginton Hall is the seat of Sir H. Every, Bart. The parish was the scene of a defeat of the Royalists, in 1644, by Sir J. Gell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £453.* Patrons, Sir H. Every, Bart,Pole, Esq., and J. Leigh, Esq. The church is old but good; and there are chari ties £112.

Egginton through time

Egginton is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egginton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egginton in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3303

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egginton ".