Place:


Upton by Chester  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton By Chester like this:

UPTON, a township-chapelry in St. Mary-on-the-Hill parish, Cheshire; 2 miles N of Chester r. station. Post town, Chester. Acres, 1,106. Real property, £3,312. Pop. in 1851, 555; in 1861, 758,-of whom 375 were in the county lunatic asylum. Houses, 74. The property is divided chiefly among three. The county lunatic asylum was built at a cost of £14,000, and has capacity for 500 patients. The living is annexed to St. Mary-on-the-Hill. The church is recent, and has a tower and spire. There is a national school.

Upton by Chester through time

Upton By Chester is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upton By Chester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton by Chester, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3286

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upton By Chester ".