Place:


Marcham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marcham like this:

MARCHAM, or MARSHAM, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands near the river Ock, 1½ mile NW of the Berks and Wilts canal, and 2¾ W of Abingdon r. station; and has a post office under Abingdon. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cothill, the township of Frilford, and the chapelry of Garford. ...


Acres, 4,940. Real property, £8,604. Pop. in 1851,1,917; in 1861,1,111. Houses, 256. The manor, with Marcham Park, belongs to P. Duffield, Esq. Sheepstead House, Oakley House, and Frilford House are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the old Berkshire hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Garford, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £455 * Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1837; is in the later English style; and comprises nave and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a free school, and charities £73.

Marcham through time

Marcham is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marcham, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3281

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marcham ".