Place:


West Hanney  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hanney like this:

HANNEY (WEST), a village and a township in Wantage district, and a parish partly also in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands between two affluents of the river Ock, near the Whitehorse vale, 1 mile N by W of Wantage Road r. station, and 3 N of Wantage; and has a post office under Wantage. ...


The township comprises 1, 390 acres. Real property, £3, 360. Pop., 384. Houses, 91. The parish contains also the township of East Hanney and the chapelry of Lyford. Acres, 3, 060. Real property, £9, 339. Pop., 1, 096. Houses, 271. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of East Hanney, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £205.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is partly Norman, with square embattled tower; and has a brass of 1370, and several other brasses. The Vicarage of Lyford is a separate benefice. There are a national school, recently built, Ashcombe's alms houses, with £374, and other charities with £45.

West Hanney through time

West Hanney is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Hanney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hanney, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3278

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Hanney ".