Place:


Rockbourne  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rockbourne like this:

ROCKBOURN, a village and a parish in Fordingbridge district, Hants. The village stands near the boundary with Wilts, 3½ miles N W of Fordingbridge, and 8 S by W of Salisbury r. station; and has a post-office under Salisbury. The parish contains also the hamlet of Brickhilland part of Sandhill-Heath. ...


Acres, 3, 798. Real property, £3, 653. Pop., 507. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. The Manor House was the birth-place of the first Lord Shaftesbury; and is now partly destroyed and partly a farm-house. West Park is the seat of the Coote family. A pillar, on high ground, commemoratesthe victories of Sir Eyre Coote. The living is a donativein the diocese of Winchester. Value, £624.* Patron, Lady Coote. The church is partly ancient, was partlyrebuilt in 1830; and contains monuments of the Cootes. There are parochial schools.

Rockbourne through time

Rockbourne is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rockbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rockbourne, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3269

Date accessed: 30th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rockbourne ".