Place:


Harford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harford like this:

HARFORD, a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon; on the river Erme, 2½ miles N of Ivy-Bridge r. station, and 5¾ N by W of Modbury. Post-town, Ivybridge. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £1,936. pop., 158. Houses, 25. The property is subdivided. The scenery along the Erme is romantic. ...


Nearly one-fourth of the land is moor. There is a large paper factory; and the proprietor of it built a large mansion in the parish in 1865. Another mansion was recently built by W. Matthews, Esq. A Druidical circle, with a kistvaen in the centre, is on a hill near the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210.* Patron, Lady Rogers. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower; and contains two fine brasses,—one of them of Speaker Williams, who died in 1565. The church-yard contains an old granite monument resembling a cromlech. There is a chapel of ease, which was formerly an Independent chapel.

Harford through time

Harford is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harford, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3242

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harford ".