Place:


Shropham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shropham like this:

SHROPHAM, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Norfolk. The village stands 3 miles NW of Eccles-Road r. station, and 4¼ N by W of East Harling; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2,678 acres, and is in Wayland district. Post town, Thetford. Real property, £3,368. Pop., 510. ...


Houses, 118. S. Hall is the seat of T. W. Budd, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £298.* Patrons, the Corporation of Norwich. The church is good; and there are a Primitive Methodist chape1, and charities £48.- The hundred contains 21 parishes. Acres, 47,585. Pop., 8,906. Houses, 1,972.

Shropham through time

Shropham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shropham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shropham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3234

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shropham ".