Place:


Setmurthy  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Setmurthy like this:

SETMURTHY, a township-chapelry in Brigham parish, Cumberland; near Cockermouth town and r. station. Post-town, Cockermouth. Acres, 2, 579. Real property, £2, 418. Pop., 166. Houses, 36. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £48. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was built in 1794; and there is an endowed school.

Setmurthy through time

Setmurthy is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Setmurthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Setmurthy, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3230

Date accessed: 14th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Setmurthy ".