Place:


Purley  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Purley like this:

PURLEY, a village and a parish in Brad field district, Berks. The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 2¼ miles E S E of Pangbourn r. station, and 3½ W N W of Reading; and has a post-office under Reading. The parish comprises 877acres. Real property, £2, 135. ...


Pop., 193. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with P. Park, belongs to Major A. M. Storer. P. Hallwas built by the South-Sea schemer Law; was the residence of Warren Hastings, during his memorable trial; and is now the seat of F. Wilder, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £359.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands ½ a mile from the village; is Norman and good, with a tower; and contains a fine Norman font, and a monument by Nollekens to A. Storer, Esq.

Purley through time

Purley is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Purley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Purley in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3226

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Purley ".