Place:


Heage  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heage like this:

HEAGE, or High-Edge, a village and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Derwent, the Cromford canal, and the Midland railway, 1½ mile SE of Ambergate r. station, and 2½ NNE of Belper; and has a post office, of the name of Heage, under Belper. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Nether Heage, Cackleton, Toadmoor, Ambergate, Black-Horse, and Boothgate. ...


Real property, £6, 137. Pop., 2, 286. Houses475. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Francis Hurt, Esq. Iron works are at Morley-Park: marble and stone works are near Buckland Hollow; and edged tools are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £180.* Patron, the Vicar of Duffield. The church is ancient, and was repaired and enlarged in 1836. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Free Methodists, a national school, an endowed school, with £28, and other charities, with £12.

Heage through time

Heage is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heage itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heage, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/322

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heage ".