Place:


Alkmonton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alkmonton like this:

ALKMONTON, a township and a chapelry in Longford parish, Derby. The township lies 5 miles NNE of Sudbury r. station, and 6 S by E of Ashborne. Post town, Longford under Derby. Pop., 82. Houses, 15. A chapel and an hospital were founded here, in 1474, by Lord Mountjoy; but are now extinct. The present chapelry was constituted in 1849, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 164. Houses, 27. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £50.* Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is very good.

Alkmonton through time

Alkmonton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alkmonton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alkmonton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3191

Date accessed: 25th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alkmonton ".