Place:


Lesnewth  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lesnewth like this:

LESNEWTH, a parish and a hundred in Cornwall. The parish is in Camelford district; and lies 4½ miles N by E of Camelford, and 14 W by N of Launceston r. station. Post town, Boscastle, Cornwall. Acres, 2,028. Real property, £1,167. Pop., 114. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to Lord Churston. ...


The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200.* Patron, Lord Churston. The church is ancient; was recently restored; includes some Norman features; comprises nave, S transept, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a piscina and an ancient font. There is a dissenting chapel.-The hundred contains also seventeen other parishes, and includes the town of Camelford. Acres, 68,889. Pop. in 1851,8,962; in 1861,8,151. Houses, 1,688.

Lesnewth through time

Lesnewth is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lesnewth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lesnewth in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3179

Date accessed: 01st December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lesnewth ".