Place:


Sway  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sway like this:

SWAY, a chapelry in Boldre parish, Hants; 2¼ miles SSW of Brockenhurst Junction r. station, and 4 NW of Lymington. It was constituted in 1841; and it has a post-office under Lymington. Real property, £1,458. Pop., 694. Houses, 150. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Bishop of W. There is a Baptist chapel.

Sway through time

Sway is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sway, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3164

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sway ".