Place:


Hinton Ampner  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Ampner like this:

HINTON-AMPNER, a parish in Alresford district, Hants; 3 miles SSW of Alresford r. station. Post town, Alresford. Acres, 2, 349. Real property, £2, 670. Pop., 362. Houses, 69. Hinton House is a chief residence. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £402. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church has Saxon features, and an interesting low side window; and contains a curious piscina. There are an endowed school with £140 a year, and other charities with £11.

Hinton Ampner through time

Hinton Ampner is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton Ampner itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Ampner, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3161

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton Ampner ".