Place:


West Lynn  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Lynn like this:

LYNN (WEST), a village and a parish in Lynn district, Norfolk. The village stands on the Ouse, opposite Lynn; and has a station on the L. and Sutton-Bridge railway, and a post office under Lynn. The parish comprises 1,619 acres. Real property, £6,479. Pop. in 1851,1,098; in 1861,469. Houses, 112. ...


The decrease of pop. was caused partly by removal of labourers employed on the Norfolk-Estuary works. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £400. * Patron, the Rev.H. Townsend. The church is chiefly later English; succeeded an ancient one which was swept away by an inundation in 1271; consists of nave and transepts, with a tower; has a memorial E window of 1849 to Amelia Walker; and contains an ancient octagonal font, and a fine brass of 1503. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £12.

West Lynn through time

West Lynn is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Lynn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Lynn in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3155

Date accessed: 04th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Lynn ".