Place:


Pinxton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pinxton like this:

PINXTON, a village and a parish in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands adjacent to a branch of the Erewash canal, to the Mansfieldbranch of the Erewash Valley railway, and to the boun dary with Notts, 3 miles E by S of Alfreton; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Alfreton. ...


The parish comprises 1, 210 acres. Real property, £4, 876; of which £2, 480 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 943; in 1861, 1, 367. Houses, 262. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Brookhill Hall, belongs to the heir of the late D' Ewes Coke, Esq. Coal is ex tensively mined, and nails are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £293.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late D' Ewes Coke, Esq. The church stands on an eminence; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains tablets to the Cokes. There are two Methodist chapels, a parochial school, and charities £7.

Pinxton through time

Pinxton is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pinxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pinxton, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3131

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pinxton ".