Place:


Buriton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buriton like this:

BURITON, a tything and a parish in Petersfield district, Hants. The tything lies on the verge of the county, near the Guildford and New Portsmouth railway, 2 miles SSW of Petersfield; and has a post office under Petersfield. The parish includes also the tythings of Nurstead and Weston. Acres, 6,305. ...


Real property, £8,030. Pop., 1,050. Houses, 196. The property is subdivided. Mapledurham here belonged to Gibbon, the historian; was sold by him to Lord Stowell; and belongs now to J. Bonham Carter, Esq. Grey limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Petersfield, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1,194.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is partly Norm an; has an ivy-clad square tower; and contains an ancient screen, a modern altar-piece, and very numerous monuments. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, three alms-houses, and charities £80.

Buriton through time

Buriton is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buriton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buriton in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3117

Date accessed: 29th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buriton ".