Place:


Pulham St Mary Magdalene  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pulham St Mary Magdalene like this:

PULHAM-ST. MARY MAGDALENE, or Pulham-Market, a village and a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk. The village stands adjacent to the Waveney Valley railway, 3½ miles W N W of Harleston; was formerly a market town; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Harleston, and a cattle fair on thethird Thursday of May. ...


The parish contains also Depwade workhouse, which had 244 inmates at the census of1861. Acres, 2, 957. Real property, £5, 941; of which £19 are in the railway . Pop. in 1851, 1, 414; in 1861, 1, 279. Houses, 239. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. Copeman, Esq. P.-M. Hallwas formerly the seat of the Percies, and is now the seat of the Leggetts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £646.* Patron, the Crown. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with N porch and embattled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £160.

Pulham St Mary Magdalene through time

Pulham St Mary Magdalene is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pulham St Mary Magdalene itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pulham St Mary Magdalene in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3111

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pulham St Mary Magdalene ".