Place:


Wimblington  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wimblington like this:

WIMBLINGTON, a hamlet in Doddington parish, Cambridge; on the St. Ives and March railway, 3 miles S by W of March. It has a post-office under March, a r. station, and three Methodist chapels. Acres, 7,589. Real property, £15,243. Pop., 1,114. Houses, 228. The manor belongs to Sir H. Peyton. A Roman station was at Stonea Grange; and has yielded some coins, and left some traces.

Wimblington through time

Wimblington is now part of Fenland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fenland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wimblington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wimblington, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3104

Date accessed: 20th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wimblington".