Place:


Ashley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashley like this:

ASHLEY, a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants; 2 miles E of the Andover railway, and 7 W of Winchester. Post Town, Stockbridge under Winchester. Acres, 1,857. Real property, £1,811. Pop., 104. Houses, 24. The property is subdivided. There are vestiges of Roman camps, and a Danish entrenchment. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £329.* Patron, the Rev. James Hannay. The church is Norman, has a very small chancel arch, and was restored in 1858.

Ashley through time

Ashley is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashley, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3074

Date accessed: 22nd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashley".