Place:


Painscastle  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Painscastle like this:

LLANBEDR-PAINSCASTLE, a village and a parish in the district of Hay and county of Radnor. The village stands on the river Bachwy, a tributary of the Wye, 6½ miles NW by W of Hay r. station; is a small place; was once a market-town; has still fairs on 12 May, 22 Sept., and 15 Dec.; and is a polling-place.—The parish comprises 3,877 acres; and its Post town is Hay, under Hereford. ...


Real property, £2,164. Pop., 306. Houses, 60. A castle was founded here by the family of Do Paine; passed to the Mortimers and others; and is now represented by only the vestiges of its moat. There is a lake of about a mile in circuit. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £68. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's.

Painscastle through time

Painscastle is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Painscastle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Painscastle, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3052

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Painscastle ".