Place:


Killala  County Mayo

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Killala like this:

Killala, seaport town and par., N. co. Mayo, on W. side of Killala Bay, 8 miles NW. of Ballina ry. sta.- par., 5634 ac., pop. 1329; town, pop. 700; P.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The harbour affords good and safe anchorage for vessels drawing 8 or 9 ft. of water. The exports of grain and provisions are considerable, and the fishery is of some importance. ...


The diocese of Killala, founded by St Patrick in the 5th century, was annexed to that of Tuam in 1833; the cathedral is an ancient structure. There is a round tower, 84 ft. high. lt was on the shore of the bay, 4 miles distant, that the French under General Humbert landed in 1798.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Killala, in and County Mayo | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/30485

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Killala".