Place:


Roborough  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roborough like this:

ROBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands 4 miles W S W of Portsmouth-Arms r. station, and 5½ E S E of Great Torrington; was anciently called Rougaburga; and took thatname from beorghs or burying-places in its neighbour-hood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ebberly; and its post town is Torrington, North Devon. ...


Acres, 3, 114. Real property, £2, 426. Pop., 478. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. The manor of R. belonged, at the Norman conquest, to the Russells; and, with Ebberly House, belongs now toHole, Esq. The manor of Coombe belonged recently to J. Vivian, Esq.; and belongs now to the Hon. Mark Rolle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £193.* Patron, the Rev. T. May. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Roborough through time

Roborough is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roborough, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3044

Date accessed: 20th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roborough ".