Place:


Stranton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stranton like this:

STRANTON, a township and a parish in Hartlepool district, Durham. The township lies on the coast, and contains West Hartlepool town r. station and harbour. Post town, West Hartlepool. Acres, 3,695; of which 357 are water. Real property, £124,387; of which £79,948 are in railways, and £1,100 in gasworks. ...


Pop. in 1851, 4,008; in 1861, 13,601. Houses, 2,369. The parish contains also Seaton-Carew and Brierton townships, and comprises 9,308 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,769: in 1861, 14,515. Houses, 2,560. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £280.* Patron, Sir M. W. Ridley. The church is good; and it occupies the site of a more ancient church, given by Robert Bruce to Guisbrough priory. The p. curacies of Christchurch, Holy Trinity, and Seaton-Carew are separate benefices. See Hartlepool (West).

Stranton through time

Stranton is now part of Hartlepool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hartlepool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stranton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stranton, in Hartlepool and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3043

Date accessed: 19th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stranton ".