Place:


Elvetham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elvetham like this:

ELVETHAM, a parish in Hartley-Wintney district, Hants; near Hartford-Bridge hamlet, Hartley-Wintney village, and Winchfield r. station, 4½ miles NE by N of Odiham. Post town, Hartford-Bridge, or Hartley-Row, under Winchfield. Acres, 3, 200. Real property, £2, 349. Pop., 475. Houses, 98. ...


The property is all in one estate. Elvetham Hall is the seat of Lord Calthorpe; was the scene of a famous entertainment of three days' duration, by the Earl of Hertford, to Queen Elizabeth, -almost vying with the still more famous one of Kenilworth; was nearly rebuilt, as well as internally re-decorated, in 1863 and preceding years; and presents a very imposing general appearance. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £235.* Patron, Lord Calthorpe. The church is old but good; and there are charities £63.

Elvetham through time

Elvetham is now part of Hart district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hart has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elvetham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elvetham, in Hart and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3033

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elvetham".