Tilehurst  Berkshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilehurst like this:

TILEHURST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bradfield district, Berks. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Reading r. station, and has a post-office under Reading. The parish includes Theale village, Calcot hamlet, and North-Street tything. Acres, 5,164. Real property, £12,397. ...

Pop. in 1851, 2,188; in 1861, 2,330. Houses, 493. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Calcot House, belongs to J. H. Blagrave, Esq. Prospect House is the residence of W. Banbury, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £1,000. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1856; and it has a fine spire. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed national school with £31 a year, recently erected alms houses, and other charities £63.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 15,815. Pop., 5,308. Houses, 1,095.

Tilehurst through time

Tilehurst is now part of Reading district. Click here for graphs and data of how Reading has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tilehurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilehurst, in Reading and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th May 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tilehurst ".