Place:


Eardisley  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eardisley like this:

EARDISLEY, or Erdesley, a village and a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wye, on the tram road from Hay to Kington, near the railway from Hereford to Brecon, 5 miles S by E of Kington; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Hereford, a fair on 15 May, and a great market on 18 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 4, 533 acres; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Real property of the lower div., £4, 299; of the upper div., £2, 558. Pop. of the whole, 826. Houses, 171. The property is divided among a few. The family of Baskerville was seated here from Domesday till 1640; and they had a strong castle here, some small remains of which still exist. Coke, Bishop of Hereford, ejected at the Commonwealth, resided and died here at his seat of Lower Moor. An oak tree, about ½ a mile from the church, covers a surface of 324 feet in circuit, and has a trunk 30 feet in girth, and 18 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £255.* Patron, W. P. Herrick, Esq., The church consists of nave and north aisle, with low embattled tower; has a curiously-sculptured Norman font; and is good. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £6.

Eardisley through time

Eardisley is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eardisley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eardisley in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3010

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eardisley ".