Place:


Scrabby  County Cavan

 

In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Scrabby like this:

SCRABBY, or BALLIMACKELLENNY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of TULLOGHONOHO, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 15 miles (S. W. by S.) from Cavan, and 70 (N. N. W.) from Dublin; containing 2668 inhabitants, of which number, 183 are in the town. This small town, which in 1831 contained 40 houses, consists chiefly of one street extending along the road from Arvagh to Granard; it has a sub-post-office to Crossdoney, and fairs are held on Feb. ...


10th, May 12th, Aug. 1st, and Dec. 12th. The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6661 statute acres, of which 1182 are in Lough Gowna; the land is of indifferent quality. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, forming part of the union of Granard: the rectory is in dispute. The tithes amount to £157. 16. 11., of which £87. 13. 10. is payable to the vicar; the remainder is rectorial. The church adjoins the town.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scrabby, in and County Cavan | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/30047

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scrabby".