Place:


Plumbland  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plumbland like this:

PLUMBLAND, a village and a parish in Cockermonth district, Cumberland. The village stands 1¾mile S by W of Aspatria r. station, and 6 N by E of Cockermouth; and has a post-office under Carlisle. The parish comprises 2, 970 acres. Real property, £4, 412. Pop., 726. Houses, 143. The property is subdivided. Limestone and coal are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £371.* Patron, H. Curwen, Esq. The church is old: and there is a freegrammar school, endowed with £87 a year.

Plumbland through time

Plumbland is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plumbland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plumbland, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2985

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plumbland ".