Place:


Aberhafesb  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aberhafesb like this:

ABERHAFESP, a parish in Newtown district, Montgomery; at the confluence of the Hafesp with the Severn, near the Central Wales railway, 2½ miles WNW of New-town. Post Town, Newtown. Acres, 4,568. Real property, £3,335. Pop., 486. Houses, 94. The property is held by two proprietors. ...


Aberhafesp Hall and the parsonage command fine views of the Severn. Fishing and quarrying are carried on. Traces exist of a Roman road; and there is a medicinal spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £356.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is early English, and in very good condition. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists.

Aberhafesb through time

Aberhafesb is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberhafesb itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberhafesb, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2978

Date accessed: 12th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberhafesb ".