Place:


Lidlington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lidlington like this:

LIDLINGTON, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands adjacent to the Bedford and Bletchley railway, 3 miles W by N of Ampthill; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ampthill. The parish comprise s 2,520 acres. Real property, £4,050. Pop., 845. ...


Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the Land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is finely situated; but, from the nature of the foundation, is unsafe. The churchyard contains a marble monument to Mrs. W.C. Bentinck. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £45.

Lidlington through time

Lidlington is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lidlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lidlington in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2976

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lidlington".