Place:


Edenbridge  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edenbridge like this:

EDENBRIDGE, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands on the river Eden, adjacent to the Southeastern railway, 8 miles W of Tunbridge; and has a station on the railway with telegraph, a head post office, ‡ designated Edenbridge, Kent, and a market on 4th Tuesday of every month. ...


The parish comprises 7, 020 acres. Real property, £7, 667. Pop., 1, 736. Houses, 335. The southern district is hilly, and formerly had iron mines. Several chalybeate springs occur, and one saline. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £427.* Patron, F. R. Gore, Esq. The church has some Norman portions, but is chiefly early and later English; and it has a western steeple and a brass of 1558, and was restored in 1860. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists.

Edenbridge through time

Edenbridge is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edenbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edenbridge, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2974

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edenbridge ".